Testosterone or Male Hormone Replacement Therapy is becoming recognized more and more as a treatment for what many people in the past attributed to a normal result of aging in men. As with all our programs at Innovative Health and Wellness in Woodstock, we seek to treat the underlying condition not just mask or reverse the symptoms caused by the condition. Low testosterone levels in men can be the primary source for many medical symptoms.
What is testosterone?
Testosterone is a hormone produced primarily in the testicles. Testosterone helps maintain men’s-
- Bone density
- Fat distribution
- Muscle strength and mass
- Red blood cell production
- Sex drive
- Sperm production
When the body is unable to produce normal amounts of testosterone due to a problem with the testicles or with the pituitary gland that controls the testicles. Testosterone replacement therapy can improve the signs and symptoms of low testosterone in these men.
What happens to testosterone levels with age?
Testosterone peaks during adolescence and early adulthood. As you get older, your testosterone level gradually declines — typically about 1 percent a year after age 30.
What are the symptoms of low testosterone?
- Changes in sexual function – This may include reduced sexual desire, fewer spontaneous erections, such as during sleep, and infertility.
- Changes in sleep patterns – Sometimes low testosterone causes insomnia or other sleep disturbances.
- Physical changes – Various physical changes are possible, including increased body fat, reduced muscle bulk and strength, and decreased bone density. Swollen or tender breasts and hair loss are possible. You may experience hot flashes and have less energy than you used to.
- Emotional changes – Low testosterone may contribute to a decrease in motivation or self-confidence. You may feel sad or depressed, or have trouble concentrating or remembering things.
Proper diagnosis and treatment of low testosterone can alleviate these symptoms by addressing the cause of the problem. For more detailed information on the treatment plans offered by Innovative Health and Wellness for Male Hormone Replacement Therapy, visit the services section of our website or CLICK HERE
If you wonder whether testosterone replacement therapy might be right for you, schedule an appointment with our office by telephone at 770-926-4646 or use the “Contact Us” feature on our website.
Image courtesy of markuso / FreeDigitalPhotos.net