How Your Chiropractor can Help with Your Recovery
If you’ve ever suffered from a strain, sprain or broken bone while playing sports you know just how painful and frustrating recovery can be. Taking care of yourself and doing what you need before engaging in activity will help you avoid sports injuries, keeping you well enough to play another day. Almost 2 million emergency room visits are made every year, with more than 70,000 of those resulting in hospitalization. Injuries requiring medical care included concussions, strains, sprains, and disconnected or broken bones. Poor training, improper use of gear and accidents on the field all contribute to the high number of sports injuries. As Woodstock’s experts in sports chiropractic care, we recommend the following in helping to keep you free of sports injuries.
- Be careful when stretching. Don’t bend your knees more than halfway when doing knee bends. Don’t twist knees or elbows during routines and keep feet firmly planted at all times.
- Try to remember to land with your knees slightly bent when jumping.
- Wear the proper shoes for the sport. Football, softball and soccer are all sports wear cleats should be worn for better traction. Keep ankles and knees healthy by investing in a good pair of cleats. Never wear street shoes on the basketball court.
- Hydrate before, during and after every time you play.
- Understand your body’s limits and listen when it’s telling you its had enough.
- Know the difference between discomfort and pain. Discomfort is you pushing your body. Pain is a signal that you’ve pushed too far. Listen to your body.
- Use proper training methods for cardiovascular strength, power and endurance before engaging in new sports understanding that you’ll be moving new muscles in new ways, exposing them to the likelihood of injury.
For those suffering from the lasting effects of a sports injury, our chiropractor in Woodstock can help you find lasting relief and get you back to living life to its fullest. Contact us now for your full consultation.